Work With US
We are currently hiring for the following positions:
Reports To: Morgan Simon and Aner Ben-Ami, Founding Partners
About Candide Group:
Candide Group leverages capital to support the transition away from an extractive global economy to one that is built upon values of social justice and sustainability. We are a California State Registered Investment Advisor, based in Oakland, California.
As impact investors, we seek to foster social benefit alongside financial return. We recognize that achieving our values will require an intense reorganization of society—we want our investments to create transformative impact. That's why we prioritize intersectional and systemic change approaches, both amongst our portfolio and within specific investments. Candide Group supports investments across all sectors, geographies, asset classes and stages – including direct investments and funds; debt and equity – as long as we believe there is a strong impact intervention, a viable financial case, and a team with the skills to execute. Over half our portfolio has people of color and women as founders, and in general we have a strong commitment to diversity both within our team and the teams we invest in.
About this Position:
Candide Group is developing a private debt portfolio on behalf of one our clients, with the overarching objective of addressing wealth inequality in the United States and globally. The Investment Director will have the opportunity to lead development and implementation of this new portfolio, which will include loans to a variety of private debt providers such as CDFIs, non-profit loan funds, and other institutions that may work in the areas of small business development, worker cooperatives, low-income housing, etc.
Note that capital has already been committed towards this effort, such that the focus can be on the investments themselves. However, over time we do see the opportunity for significant growth, such that this position is both entrepreneurial and investment focused—and thus quite unique for an investment professional looking to contribute beyond executing individual transactions.
- Improve upon our existing pipeline of private debt opportunities, prioritizing organizations serving low-income, diverse populations
- Lead portfolio construction, planning out sizing and timing of investments
- Evaluate opportunities from start to finish, producing well-researched diligence memos (roughly a memo every 1.5-2 months)
- Expect a site visit per opportunity—some travel required
- Manage reporting of fund progress, both to Candide Group partners and to the client—ideally improving upon our current systems
- Contribute to thinking about how this particular portfolio can scale, and also support other client portfolios with their private debt allocation
The Ideal Candidate:
- Has worked in a CDFI, community bank or private debt fund
- Has evaluated and deployed capital into private debt strategies, in particular into funds or intermediaries
- Ideally has structured direct debt deals and/or project finance facilities requiring creativity and financial savvy—or is excited to learn
- Is comfortable and experienced working with diverse populations
- Self-starter comfortable working independently, with high quality standards for work product
Location: Oakland, California preferred. Open to remote under certain circumstances.
Compensation: Competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
Application Instructions: Please email the following documents as .pdf files to Laurika@candidegroup.com, with the subject line “Investment Director Job Application” by 7/15/2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Cover Letter
- 3 References
- Sample diligence memo or other investment-related writing sample
- Salary expectations (optional)
Candide Group, LLC is an equal opportunity employer and places a high value on workforce diversity. Candide Group, LLC does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.